Employers, and those in control of premises must report certain specified workplace incidents and accidents at work, these are found within the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations commonly known as RIDDOR.

Reporting must be done to the HSE or enforcing authority and the employer must keep a record. Full details on how to report can be found on the HSE website.

Accidents and incidents that require immediate reporting

If an employee or self-employed person working on your premises is killed or suffers a specific injury as defined by RIDDOR or a member of the public or a person not at work is killed or taken to hospital from the scene, then the employer must notify the enforcing authority without delay by the quickest practicable means – by telephoning the HSE ICC direct.

If there is an accident connected with work and they are away from their work or not doing their normal duties for more than 7 days (including weekends, rest days or holidays, but not counting the day of the accident.

The employers must notify the enforcing authority within 15 days. This can be done via the HSE website.